Hosthelp / Cashier at The Kahala Resort
To check tables, assist waithelp with service if necessary, help bus and set tables; greets and seats guests and issues menus; may sell and package bakery items; is responsible for proper and accurate issuing, pricing, recording and receipt of payment for food and beverage chits in a friendly and courteous manner; settlement of checks; tallies and turns in
daily receipts; prepares meal recap reports; and is responsible for a bank.
•Meets and greets guests as they arrive, offers choice of seating, then escorts them to their
table and presents menu. At the end of the meal, bids a warm farewell to all guests,
thanks them, asks them to return to the restaurant.
•Receives and visually inspects guest check for any inaccuracies, then closes the check to
the proper method of payment (i.e. cash, credit card or house charge).
•Receives, records and makes any necessary arrangements for reservations and special
functions in the restaurant. Memorizes the daily station assignments and the names of
•Ascertains guest satisfaction. In the event of dissatisfaction, refers the incident to the
•Complies with accounting guideline regarding receipt of payments, checks total
verification, tip disbursement, cash drawer and house bank management.
•Balances house bank at the end of the shift. Retrieves and returns bank from vault to
workstation and return, to ensure accountability.
•Communicates information about and sells bakery items and packages/boxes them for
•Ensures appropriate menu (i.e. breakfast, lunch, dinner) is offered to guests and that
menus are clean and presentable.
•Maintains knowledge of food items offered on a daily basis and accurately communicates
same to guests upon request.
•Report all suspicious persons or activities and hazardous or unsafe conditions to the
•Provide instruction and/or guidance for guest and employee safety in fire or other
•Respond to guest questioris. Provide guest assistance, direction and information as
requested when working in public areas.
•Maintains an open line of communication between guests, management and line
• Carry coffee and/or tea pots throughout outlet, refilling guests' cups as requested.
•Performs any general cleaning tasks using standard hotel cleaning products as assigned
by the supervisor to adhere to health standards.
•Busses and resets tables as necessary; assists Waithelp in providing service to guests.
Assists in cocktail order taking when necessary.
• Performs a variety of other duties as assigned.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Ability to remember, recite and promote a variety of menu items.
•Knowledge of restaurant operations, to include appropriate staffing levels, service
equipment and guest relations.
•Basic mathematical skills necessary to operate a cash register, make change, total guest checks, count total bank, prepare cash drops, total all other charges and understand
portion sizes as relating to pricing.
• Ability to operate a keyboard and computer procedures to handle cashier functions.
• Ability to operate a telephone, copy machine, and 10-key adding machine.
•Ability to pay attention to detail, work in a fast paced environment, handle multiple tasks,
and have a high level of patience.
• Ability to multi task. Complete current task while reviewing the next task due.
•Ability to recognize and remember additional supplies may be needed while still in the
process of completing the existing task.
•Ability to work in a fast paced environment coupled with maintaining a positive work
attitude and being able to be cordiale, polite and professional with fellow co-workers and
• Sorting and racking glassware, chinaware and utensils.
•Ability to read and speak the English language sufficient to understand menus and special promotions, and communicate with guests.
•Ability to deal effectively with customer complaints and concerns in a friendly and
positive manner. This involves listening to the nature of the concern, demonstrating
empathy with the customer and providing positive and proactive solutions.
•Must be able to work varying shifts and maintain attendance in accordance with the
hotel's attendance policy.
• Ability to comply with hotel rules and regulations including policies.
• One year (1) previous experience in cash handling required.
• Prior hospitality and restaurant experience preferred.
Licenses or Certification
• Certification of tuberculosis clearance required.
• CPR and Standard First Aid Certification preferred.
• Honolulu Liquor Commission (yellow) required.
• Ability to move throughout a crowded room to seat guests.
• Ability sit and/or stand and work continually in confined spaces.
• Ability to lift, grasp overhead, stoop, squat and/or carry items weighing up to 25 lbs.
•Must maintain a neat, clean and well groomed appearance as outlined in the employee
• High School Diploma or General Education Diploma required.