Waithelp at The Kahala Resort
To take orders for food and beverage in accordance with specified standards and applicable liquor laws; serve meals and drinks to guests in a friendly, courteous, timely and efficient manner according to the hotel's high standards; maintains clean and appropriately stocked stations; covers and skirts tables; sets tables; busses and cleans assigned station (s); totals bill and may accept payment.
•Retrieves completed food and/or beverage orders from kitchen or bar; confirms accuracy
of order and delivers to guests with appropriate condiments. When serving beverages, abides by all state, federal and corporate liquor regulations pertaining to serving alcoholic beverages to minors and intoxicated guests.
•All food orders are carried out from the kitchen on large oval trays at shoulder height,
weight not to exceed 30 lbs.
• Checks assigned station before, during and after shift for proper set up and cleanliness.
•Greets guests in a friendly and courteous manner and explain any specials and/or
restaurant promotions. Maintains knowledge of food items offered on a daily basis.
•Records the details of the order from guests, repeating as necessary, to check for accuracy. Inputs order into the Micros computer system and informs the kitchen of the particulars in the order being placed.
• Replenishes beverages as necessary and checks with guest for overall satisfaction.
• Busses and re-sets tables for the next guest.
• Markets and serves upon request any dessert or specialty item.
• Presents the check to the guest and collects payment.
•Report all suspicious persons or activities and hazardous or unsafe conditions to the
•Provide instruction and/or guidance for guest and employee safety in fire or other
•Respond to all guest questions. Provide guest assistance, direction and information as
requested when working in public areas.
• Deliver food to tables from kitchen.
•Complete all assigned side duties, such as but not limited to, replenishing condiments,
restocking supplies and general cleaning assignments.
• Assist Hosthelp/Cashier in seating guests when necessary.
• Perform any general cleaning task as needed.
• Perform a variety of other duties as assigned.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
•Basic knowledge of food and beverage preparation, service standards, guest relations and etiquette.
• Ability to remember, recite and promote a variety of menu items.
•Ability to effectively operate a computer system to input food and beverage orders and
•Ability to operate various food preparation equipment such as, but not limited to, toaster,
coffee maker, espresso/cappuccino machine, beverage dispenser and bread warmer.
• Sufficient manual dexterity in hands in order to use a cigarette lighter or wine opener.
•Ability to pay attention to detail, able to work in a fast paced environment, handle
multiple tasks, and have a high level of patience.
• Ability to multi task. Complete current task while reviewing the next task due.
•Ability to recognize and remember additional supplies may be needed while still in the
process of completing the existing task.
•Ability to work in a fast paced environment coupled with maintaining a positive work
attitude and being able to be cordiale, polite and professional with fellow co-workers and
• Sorting and racking glassware, chinaware and utensils.
•Ability to read, speak and understand the English language in order to communicate with
guests and take orders.
•Must be able to work varying shifts and maintain attendance in accordance with the
hotel's attendance policy.
• Ability to comply with hotel rules and regulations including policies.
• 1 year waithelp experience preferred.
• Prior hospitality and restaurant experience preferred.
Licenses or Certification
• Certification of tuberculosis clearance required.
• CPR and Standard First Aid Certification preferred.
• Honolulu Liquor Commission (yellow) Card required.
•Ability to grasp, bend, lift, and/or carry, or otherwise, move or push/pull goods on a hand
cart/truck weighing a maximum of 100 lbs.
• Ability to grasp, bend, lift, carry and/or transport goods weighing a maximum of 30 lbs.
• Ability to reach and grasp overhead, bend, stoop and squat.
• Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
• Ability to move throughout the work area while performing the essential job functions.
•Must maintain a neat, clean and well groomed appearance as outlined in the employee
• High School Diploma or General Education Diploma preferred.