Waithelp at The Kahala Resort
To take orders for food and beverage in accordance with specified standards and applicable liquor laws; serve meals and drinks to guests in a friendly, courteous, timely and efficient manner according to the hotel's high standards; maintains clean and appropriately stocked stations; covers and skirts tables; sets tables; busses and cleans assigned station (s); totals bill and may accept payment.
•Retrieves completed food and/or beverage orders from kitchen or bar; confirms accuracy
of order and delivers to guests with appropriate condiments. When serving beverages, abides by all state, federal and corporate liquor regulations pertaining to serving alcoholic beverages to minors and intoxicated guests.
• Checks assigned station before, during and after shift for proper set up and cleanliness.
•Greets guests in a friendly and courteous manner and explain any specials and/or
•Records the details of the order from guests, repeating as necessary, to check for accuracy. Inputs order into the Micros computer system and informs the kitchen of the particulars in the order being placed.
• Replenishes beverages as necessary and checks with guest for overall satisfaction.
•Busses and re-sets tables for the next guest. Picks-up clean linen for service and drops-
off soiled linen for washing to Laundry Department.
• Markets and serves upon request any dessert or specialty item.
• Presents the check to the guest and collects payment.
•Report all suspicious persons or activities and hazardous or unsafe conditions to the
•Provide instruction and/or guidance for guest and employee safety in fire or other emergency situations.
•Respond to all guest questions. Provide guest assistance, direction and information as
requested when working in public areas.
•Complete all assigned side duties, such as but not limited to, replenishing condiments,
restocking supplies and general cleaning assignments. Sorting and racking glassware,
chinaware and utensils.
• Assist Lobby Lounge cocktail server in lounge when necessary.
• Assist Hosthelp/Cashier in seating guests when necessary.
• Perform any general cleaning task as needed.
• Perform a variety of other duties as assigned.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
•Basic knowledge of food and beverage preparation, service standards, guest relations and etiquette.
• Ability to remember, recite and promote a variety of menu items.
•Ability to effectively operate a computer system to input food and beverage orders and
•Ability to operate various food preparation equipment such as, but not limited to, toaster,
coffee maker, espresso/cappuccino machine, beverage dispenser and bread warmer.
• Sufficient manual dexterity in hands in order to use a cigarette lighter or wine opener.
•Ability to pay attention to detail, able to work in a fast paced environment, handle multiple tasks, and have a high level of patience. Ability to multi task. Complete current task while reviewing the next task due. Ability to recognize and remember additional supplies may be needed while still in the process of completing the existing task.
•Ability to work in as fast paced environment coupled with maintaining a positive work
attitude and being able to be cordiale, polite and professional with fellow co-workers and
•Ability to read, speak and understand the English language in order to communicate with
guests and take orders.
•Must be able to work varying shifts and maintain attendance in accordance with the
hotel's attendance policy.
• Ability to comply with hotel rules and regulations including policies.
• Six (6) months waithelp experience preferred.
• One (1) year experience working in a main dining room preferred.
Licenses or Certification
• Certification of tuberculosis clearance required.
• CPR and Standard First Aid Certification preferred.
• Honolulu Liquor Commission (yellow) Card required.
•Ability to grasp, bend, lift, and/or carry up to 30 lbs. or otherwise, move or push/pull
goods on a hand cart/truck weighing a maximum of 100 lbs.
• Ability to reach and grasp overhead, bend, stoop and squat.
• Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time.
• Ability to move throughout the work area while performing the essential job functions.
•Must maintain a neat, clean and well groomed appearance as outlined in the employee
• High School Diploma or General Education Diploma preferred.