Banquets Waithelp at The Kahala Resort
To serve meals and drinks to guests according to established rules of etiquette, based on formal or informal event, in a friendly, courteous and professional manner
according to The Kahala Hotel & Resort's standards of quality. Maintains a clear and attractive station and performs incidental tasks basic to good service. May take orders for meals or beverages, and sees that all liquor laws and rules are enforced in the service of alcoholic beverages. Covers and skirts any tables to be used for a function; sets tables; and an conclusion of function, final bussing and cleaning up.
•Serves food and/or beverages and to the expectation of the Banquet Captain and the
Event Order to ensure consistency throughout the banquet. Promptly busses dishes as
guests complete each course and/or meal at the end of the meal or function.
•Prepares place setting and condiment items for the following events, to include folding napkins, filling salt shakers and other required side duties.
•Sets up banquet room as instructed by the Banquet Captain in include linen, silverware, china, and glassware. Covers and skirts all food tables, reception tables, display tables and bar back tables for functions.
• Introduces self and responds to requests in a friendly and courteous manner.
• Replenishes beverages as necessary and checks with guests for overall satisfaction.
•Attends roll call meetings before events to learn function particulars, including guest
and hotel expectations.
• Report all suspicious persons or activities and hazardous or unsafe conditions to the
•Provide instruction and/or guidance for guest and employee safety in fire or other
•Respond to guest questions. Provide guest assistance, direction and information as
requested when working in public areas.
•Abides by all State, Federal and Corporate liquor regulations pertaining to serving
alcoholic beverages to minors and intoxicated guests.
•Responsible for general cleanliness in all work areas. Keep things stored in proper areas. Keep cabinets, refrigerator and sinks clean.
• Performs a variety of other duties as assigned.
•Ability to work varying shifts and maintain attendance in accordance with the hotel's
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
•Basic knowledge of food and beverage preparations, service standards, guest relations and etiquette.
• Knowledge of the appropriate table settings and service ware.
•Ability to comprehend and apply written product-labeling instructions to enable the safe
application of products and processes within the Hotel.
• Ability to remember, recite and promote the variety of menu items.
• Ability to operate beverage equipment, e.g., coffee maker.
•Ability to pay attention to detail, work in a fast paced environment, handle multiple tasks,
and have a high level of patience.
• Ability to multi task. Complete current task while reviewing the next task due.
•Ability to recognize and remember additional supplies may be needed while still in the
process of completing the existing task.
•Ability to work in a fast paced environment coupled with maintaining a positive work
attitude and being able to be cordiale, polite and professional with fellow co-workers and
• Sorting and racking glassware, chinaware and utensils.
•Basic knowledge of the English language sufficient to understand inquiries from
customers and communicate simple instructions.
• Six (6) months previous experience in food and beverage required.
• Previous experience in banquet service preferred.
Licenses or Certification
• Certification of tuberculosis clearance required.
• CPR and Standard First Aid Certification preferred.
• Honolulu Liquor Commission (yellow) Card required
•Ability to transport up to 49 lbs. through a crowded room on a continuous basis
throughout the shift.
•Ability to comply with hotel rules and regulations including policies regarding safety and grooming standards.
•Must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance as outlined in the employee
• High School Diploma or General Education Diploma preferred.