Banquets Captain at The Kahala Resort
To assist in the supervision and coordination of the banquet functions. Responsible for training employees, setting up stations, and when applicable, may service the head table or VIP tables. Oversees that food and/or beverage service is provided in a friendly, courteous and professional manner according to the hotel's high standards of quality. Can perform waithelp duties.
•Obtains a copy of the Event Order. Meets with crew to instruct them in banquet set up
and procedures. Rechecks stations for the event by communicating with each support
department to confirm all plans, i.e., kitchen to ensure proper dishes and amounts are
being served, stewards to ensure proper staffing and set-up.
•Monitors food and/or beverage service, ensuring that waithelp are performing
assigned tasks according to specifications of the Event Order.
•Tallies and presents check to guest. Receives payment as specified in the Event Order's billing instructions. Posts checks using computer system and delivers to the Front Office Cashier. Accurately prepares the Captain's Report.
•Monitors closing crew and clean up. Inspects room to ensure proper closing procedure has been followed.
• Checks overall readiness of rooms i.e. light bulbs, etc. makes work orders to replace.
•Introduces self to guests and responds to their requests in a friendly and courteous
manner using a positive and clear speaking voice.
• Report all suspicious persons or activities and hazardous or unsafe conditions to the
•Provide instruction and/or guidance for guest and employee safety in fire or other
•Respond to guest questions. Provide guest assistance, direction and information as
requested when working in public areas.
•Abides by all State, Federal and Corporate liquor regulations pertaining to serving
alcoholic beverages to minors and intoxicated guests.
• Performs Waithelp and Porter duties as needed.
• Trains Waithelp and Porters as needed.
• Performs a variety of other duties as assigned.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
•Basic knowledge of food and beverage preparations, service standards, guest relations and etiquette.
• Knowledge of the appropriate table settings and service ware.
•Knowledge of various equipment such as projection equipment, chafing dishes, coffee
•Ability to comprehend and apply written product-labeling instructions to enable the safe
application of products and processes within the Hotel.
• Ability to remember, recite and promote the variety of menu items.
• Ability to operate beverage equipment, e.g., coffee maker.
• Knowledge of basic safety procedures.
• Ability to input and retrieve information from a computer.
•Ability to pay attention to details, work in a fast paced environment, handle multiple
tasks, and have a high level of patience.
• Ability to multi task. Complete current task while reviewing the next task due.
•Ability to recognize and remember additional supplies may be needed while still in the
process of completing the existing task.
•Ability to work in a fast paced environment coupled with being able to be cordiale, polite
and professional with fellow co-workers and guests.
• Sorting and racking glassware, chinaware and utensils.
• Minimum two (2) years experience in banquet waithelp required.
• Previous supervisory experience preferred.
Licenses or Certification
• Certification of tuberculosis clearance required.
• CPR and Standard First Aid Certification preferred.
• Honolulu Liquor Commission Management (blue) Card.
• Honolulu Liquor Commission Server-Training Certificate of Completion.
• Ability to complete HAZCOM/MSDS Training.
•Ability to transport up to 49 lbs. through a crowded room on a continuous basis
throughout the shift.
•Ability to travel throughout the property using elevators and/or stairs continuously
throughout the shift.
•Ability to comply with hotel rules and regulations including policies regarding safety and grooming standards.
•Must maintain a neat, clean and well-groomed appearance as outlined in the employee
•Ability to work varying shifts and maintains attendance in accordance with the hotel's