Assistant Pantry at The Kahala Resort
To assist in the preparation of salads, fruits, dressings, cocktails, canapes, cocktails and other cold dishes including desserts; prepares coffee and other beverages; mixes dressings and sauces; makes sandwiches, slices cold meats and portions food according to the hotel's standards for quality, freshness and cleanliness; works independently on routine items, under general or direct supervision on major pantry requirements; assists in the set up of buffets and preparation of ice carvings.
•Prepares all pantry food items according to standard pantry recipes or, as other specified
by the supervisor, for all restaurants, banquets, buffets, and staff cafeteria to ensure consistency of product to the guest; requires lifting and transportation of heavy food products weighing up to 50 lbs. and with wheeled assistance up to 300 lbs.
•Visually inspects, selects and uses only the freshest fruits, vegetables, meats and other
food products of the highest standard in the preparation of all menu items. Prepares
requisition for supplies and food items for production in work station. Reads and employs math skills for following recipes.
•Checks and controls the proper storage of product, especially on all fresh produce, checking on portion control, to maintain a quality product.
•Ensures that all equipment in working areas, including the refrigeration and storage areas,
are clean and in proper working condition to comply with Health Department regulations.
•Prepares items for assigned restaurant stations according to preset recipes and presentation standards, working independently.
•Report all suspicious persons or activities and hazardous or unsafe conditions to the Security Department.
•Provide instruction and/or guidance for guest and employee safety in fire or other emergency situations.
•Respond to all guest questions. Provide guest assistance, direction and information as requested when working in public areas.
• Set-up and replenish buffets.
• Prepares requisitions for Kitchen supplies and food items.
• Performs a variety of other duties as assigned.
Specific Job Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Good working knowledge of the fundamentals of cold food preparation.
• Good working knowledge of accepted standards of sanitation.
•Must have knowledge of operating all kitchen equipment (i.e. knives, blenders, buffalo choppers, mixers, grinders, food processors, etc.)
•Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand recipes, measurements and requisition amounts and portion sizes.
• Ability to perform duties within extreme temperature ranges.
•Ability to read and write and speak the English language in order to read recipes and
communicate with other employees.
• Minimum six(6) months of cold food preparation experience required.
Licenses or Certification
• Certification of tuberculosis clearance required.
• CPR and Standard First Aid Certification preferred.
• Kitchen Sanitation Certificate preferred.
•Ability to lift, bend, stoop, walk, reach overhead, squat, push/pull heavy equipment and stand for extended periods of time.
•Sufficient manual dexterity of hand in order to use all kitchen equipment (i.e. knives, spoons, spatulas, tongs, slicers, etc.)
• Ability to stand and work continuously in confined spaces.
• Ability to move throughout the work area while performing the essential job functions.
High School Diploma or General Education Diploma preferred.